1. 17-time Grand Slam champion Novotná dies of cancer aged 49
• Former world number one doubles and number two singles champion Jana Novotná died aged 49 due to cancer on Sunday.
• Apart from her Wimbledon singles title in 1998 and 24 WTA singles titles in 14 years, the Czech won 12 doubles and four mixed doubles Grand Slam titles.
• Novotná was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2005.
2. Kohli second Indian after Sachin to hit 50 international tons
• Indian captain Virat Kohli became the second Indian after Sachin Tendulkar to score 50 international centuries, registering his 18th Test ton against Sri Lanka in the first Test on Monday.
• Kohli also equaled Sunil Gavaskar's record of 11 Test centuries as an Indian captain. This was Kohli's 9th international ton in 2017, the most by him in any year.
3. India cancels $500mn Israel deal to promote Indian missile
• The Indian Defence Ministry has cancelled a $500-million deal aimed at acquiring Spike Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) from Israel, in a bid to promote indigenously developed missiles.
• India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will now produce the Man-Portable ATGM within 3-4 years and will not require any transfer of technology, according to reports.
4. Indian Army 'Tornadoes' break new world record as 58 men mount and ride a single Royal Enfield
• A motorcycle display team of the Indian Army Service Corps (ASC) created a new world record on Sunday when 58 men mounted a single 500 cc Royal Enfield motorcycle and rode it for a distance of 1200 meters as part of a display at the Air Force Station Yelahanka.
• The 'Tornadoes' broke the previous record of 56 men set in 2010 by the Army Signal Corps (Daredevils) from the Indian Army. On Sunday, the team was led by Major Bunny Sharma and the motorcycle was steered by Subedar Rampal Yadav.
5. Government Seeks Rs 13,000 Crore Surplus From RBI
• The government has not asked the Reserve Bank to pay any special dividend and is only seeking Rs 13,000 crore of surplus lying with the central bank, Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg has said.
In August, the RBI had paid a dividend of Rs 30,659 crore for the fiscal ended June 2017.
• It was less than half the Rs 65,876 crore it had paid in 2015-16.
The government had budgeted for a Rs 58,000 crore dividend from the RBI in its Budget for this fiscal year.
RBI’s profit was about Rs 44,000 crore, of which Rs 30,000 crore has been distributed and Rs 13,000 crore it retained towards risks and reserves.
• So the government has made a suggestion that the Rs 13,000 crore may also be transferred, he said.
6. Uber launches feature to book cabs using computer in India
• Cab aggregator Uber has launched a web-based version of its app in India, allowing users to book cabs from their computers or tablets.
• Users can now book rides on the website m.uber.com without needing the Uber app. The company has also introduced three new app features like offline search, request for a guest, and call to ride.
7. Tata Sons appoints two new directors
• Tata Sons Ltd has appointed Bhaskar Bhat, managing director of watch and jewellery maker Titan Ltd, and Saurabh Agarwal, Tata group chief financial officer, as directors on its board, the holding company of the Tata group.
• Bhat, who has also been chairman of Tata Chemicals Ltd, has been running Titan since 2002.
• Agarwal was hired this year as group CFO from the Aditya Birla Group, where he was head of strategy. With these appointments, Tata Sons will have 11 directors.
• The current board includes Piramal Group founder Ajay Piramal, TVS Motor Co. chief Venu Srinivasan, and independent directors including Farida Khambata and Ronen Sen.
8. IISL launches Nifty SME Emerge Index
• India Index Services & Products (IISL), an NSE Group entity, has launched a new Nifty Index to measure the performance of small and medium enterprises listed on the dedicated NSE platform for small companies.
• The Nifty SME Emerge Index reflects the performance of a portfolio of eligible companies listed on the Emerge. • The index represents about 62 per cent of the full market capitalisation of all SMEs listed on the Emerge.
• The launch comes on a day when NSE saw the listing of its 100th SME today. As against this, the rival BSE’s similar platform has over 200 companies listed on the exchange.
9. India moves up one notch to 126 in terms of per capita GDP'
• India has moved up one position to 126th in terms of per capita GDP of countries, still ranked lower than all its BRICS peers, while Qatar remains the world’s richest on this parameter.
• The IMF data, which forms part of the latest World Economic Outlook report of the International Monetary Fund, ranks over 200 countries in terms of per capita GDP based on purchasing power parity (PPP).
• PPP between two countries is the rate at which the currency of one country needs to be converted into that of a second country to ensure that a given amount of the first country’s currency will purchase the same volume of goods and services in the second country as it does in the first.
• India has seen its per capita GDP rise to $7,170 in 2017, from USD 6,690 last year, helping improve its rank by a position to 126th.
10. India Signs Loan Agreement with World Bank for USD 100 Million for “Shared Infrastructure for Solar Parks Project”
• A Guarantee Agreement for IBRD/CTF loan of USD 98 million and Grant Agreement for USD 2 million for the “Shared Infrastructure for Solar Parks Project” was signed with the World Bank here today by Mr Sameer Kumar Khare, Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs on behalf of Government of India, and Mr Hisham.
The project consists of two components viz.
(i) Shared Infrastructure for Solar Parks (estimated total project cost of USD 100 million, including USD 75 million in IBRD loan and USD 23 million in CTF Loan) and
(ii) Technical Assistance (USD 2 million in CTF Grant).
• The objective of the project is to increase solar generation capacity through establishment of large-scale parks in the country.
• The project will help establish large-scale solar parks and support the government’s plan to install 100 Gigawatts (GW) of solar power out of a total renewable-energy target of 175 GW by 2022.
11. The International Film Festival of India (IFFI) to be inaugurated in Goa
• The Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India has a fully functioning media centre with state of art facilities located at Old GMC Building to give updates on daily activities and events happening at the IFFI 2017.
12. Nagaland, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Dadra & Nagar Haveli & Daman & Diu sign MoU with Government of India under UDAY Scheme
• On the 2nd Anniversary of Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) today, the Government of India signed four Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) under the Scheme with the State of Nagaland and with Union Territories (UTs) of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Dadra & Nagar Haveli & Daman & Diu for operational improvements.
• These State/UTs have joined only for operational improvement and shall not undergo financial restructuring/issue of bonds under the scheme. With the above, UDAY club has now grown to 27 states and 4 UTs.